Since fake baking in a tanning bad and too much exposure in the real sun both have tons of negative consequences, sunless tanners are a great alternative to get that glow we all want. But after seeing some self tanner mishaps (like Lindsay Lohan’s orange hands), the whole process can seem quite intimidating. None of us want to look like Snooki or Hulk Hogan.
I wrote earlier about how to apply self-tanner, so check that post out if you need a little “push”. I promise it’s easy if you choose the right product and take your time. So whether you want a year-round glow or are looking to go a few shades darker for a special event, here are some of the best products I’ve found.
(1) L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Tinted Lotion- $8.49– This is my favorite self-tanning product to date. I love that the product comes out dark so you can see where you are applying it and if you missed any spots. This lotion does contain glitter, which is a bit weird- but I promise that it fades within a few hours or after a simple shower the next morning.
(2) Kate Somerville Tanning Towelettes- $48.00– If you’re not a pro at using the sprays or lotions, tanning towelettes may be a good choice for you. They are easy to apply and this specific brand is made without sulfates and synthetic dyes, so that’s a major plus. Kate Somerville products are a bit on the expensive side, but are SO worth it!
(3) NARS Body Glow- $59.00– This is actually a bronzing oil more than a self tanner. The oil adds moisture to your skin while giving you a little bit of color and shine. This works best on medium skin tones, so it’s best to have some color already before applying.
(4) Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer– $8.69- I used to be a strict user of this until I found the L’Oreal formula above to last longer. They’ve gotten rid of the chemical-y scent from years past, so if that turned you off you should give it another try.
(5) St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse- $32.00– This sunless tanner shows up on every “Best Self Tanner” list I’ve seen in magazines or online, and there’s a reason. The mousse formula is super easy to apply and dries in “60 seconds” after application.
(6) Clinique Self Sun Body Tinted Lotion– $23.00- This option is great for women with sensitive or oily skin (it’s oil-free!) The formula is tinted as well, so you can see if you missed any spots. Many users report of a slight scent, but the payoff is worth it.
(7) Neutrogena Micro Mist Tanning Sunless Spray– $8.89– I’m not that great at applying sprays, but those who are should try this. If you’re used to using spray sunscreen, this formula is very similar. Other features include a great price, no scent and a light mist application.