Winter Vegetable Soup Recipe
In winter, there’s nothing better than sitting down with a blanket and a big bowl of warm soup. I’m personally a big fan of chicken-based soups: chicken noodle, chicken and rice, chicken and vegetables… the list goes on. I try to eat meatless for dinner 1-2 times a week, and the perfect opportunity for this is with soup. The photo might not look that appetizing, but trust me- it was. Below is a recipe I tested out for a winter vegetable soup- adapted from Making Lemonade.
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 stalks of celery
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 cups of chopped kale
- a handful of fresh or dried herbs, like rosemary, thyme & sage
- salt and pepper
- half a fresh lemon
- Chop the garlic and vegetables.
- In a large pan or wok, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they are almost translucent.
- Add garlic and saute an additional minute.
- Add the rest of the vegetables (minus the kale) and saute for a few minutes.
- Add in the kale and saute for another minute or two. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and can of diced tomatoes to your crockpot.
- Add in the sauteed veggies and cook on high for 7-9 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high.
- Prior to serving, squeeze half a lemon for added flavor.
OMG this looks amazing!! Thank you for sharing 🙂
YUM! That looks absolutely delicious!
Yummy! Soup is the best on a cold winter night.
Yum! Thanks for sharing
Oooh this looks yummy and easy! I’ve never added kale to soup before.
OMG this recipe is just what I need! I am trying to give up carbs and dairy this month and there is only so much salad one girl can take. Looks UHmazing!