Copycat Wendy’s Crispy Dill Chicken Sandwich
I’ll be honest — I’m not a fan of Wendy’s. I try to stay away from fast food for the most part (although I had McDonald’s for the first time in two years recently), and Wendy’s has just never been my cup of tea. However, lately I’ve been deliberating to give it another try after seeing the commercials for their new Crispy Dill Chicken Sandwich. Taken straight from their website,”Wendy’s new Crispy Dill Chicken is a pickle lover’s dream. Piled high with crunchy dill pickles and topped with a refreshing cucumber dill sauce – all for just $1.49.”
I decided to recreate Wendy’s new sandwich on my own, ensuring it would be a little healthier and a hell of a lot fresher. If you’re a fan of dill pickles, you’ll love this easy-to-make sandwich. A crispy, thin chicken breast is topped with dill pickles and a dill ranch Greek yogurt sauce, all on a warm toasted bun. Yum.
- 2 thin chicken breast cutlets
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tsp dried dill (one for the flour, another for the sauce)
- ½ packet (about 1 tbsp) Hidden Valley Greek Yogurt Dressing Mix
- 6 oz. Greek Yogurt (one small container)
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 rolls (I chose sesame)
- Shredded lettuce (if desired)
- 5-6 sliced dill pickles
- Prepare Greek Yogurt Ranch sauce by combining plain Greek yogurt, half a packet of Hidden Valley Greek Yogurt Dressing mix, 2 tablespoons of chopped dill pickles, 1 teaspoon dried dill and 2 teaspoons of the pickle juice from the jar. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Prepare three shallow plates or bowls: 1 with flour and dried dill, another with eggs and milk and another with Panko breadcrumbs.
- Dip 1 piece of chicken into flour until completely covered, shaking off any excess. Then dip into egg mixture, and then Panko, making sure to press crumbs onto chicken. Set aside and repeat with second chicken breast.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place chicken on the sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping once after about 10 minutes to ensure even crisping on both sides.
- Toast your buns. Spread a tablespoon of the Greek Yogurt sauce on the bottom bun, then top with crispy chicken, shredded lettuce and sliced pickles. Spread more of the sauce on the top bun and place on top of the sandwich.
*Based on this recipe from Yellow Bliss Road
Hello, dinner! This looks awesome. 🙂 And way healthier than the Wendy’s version- bonus!