Mean Girl’s Burn Book Halloween Costume DIY
If there’s one movie that defined my middle and high school life, it was Mean Girls. I remember seeing the movie with my a few of best girl friends in high school. Aach one of us named who was the Regina, Karen, Cady, and Gretchen of our group—I was Regina, which probably says a lot about me. The movie was hilarious and, in my opinion, an iconic representation of the females of my generation. I plan on making my future daughter watch it just so she can see what life was like when I was growing up. And so she can probably tell me how ugly the style was back then.
So it made sense that years after the film was released I would choose to use it as inspiration for a Halloween costume. I needed a costume that was simple, easy-to-assemble, affordable, and could travel easily (this particular costume was for a work-related Halloween event). So I decided to go as the infamous Burn Book.
- a bright pink shirt or dress (I ordered this one from Amazon)
- black and white acrylic felt sheets
- black fabric marker
- fabric hem tape
- red lipstick of your choice
- Cut out 8 squares of acrylic felt that match the squares for each letter in “Burn Book”.
- For the white squares, write the letters with your black fabric marker.
- For the black squares, trace the letter on the white felt and cut out. Glue on top of black felt.
- Use fabric tape to secure each letter/square onto the shirt.
- Put on red lipstick and kiss the shirt a few times until there is a visible mark left.
You get bonus points if you draw on all the scribbles (I didn’t have time and didn’t want the marker to run too much). You could also make it fun and interactive and have people sign your shirt with insults, just like the real Burn Book (Amber D’Alessio made out with a hot dog, remember)?