Beauty Ingredient Spotlight: Elderberry
You’ve likely heard of elderberry when it comes to two things: St-Germain (a French liqueur made from elderflowers) or the syrup (which some people use to treat cold and flu symptoms). But did you know the ingredient is also used in many beauty and skincare products?
Benefits of Elderberry for Skin and Beauty
There are a variety of both proven and unproven benefits of using elderberry on your skin. Let’s focus on those that are backed by science and studies.
- Reduces sunspots and fine lines. Elderberries are known mostly for being high in vitamin C, which can help decrease signs of aging.
- Reduces wrinkles. Elderberries also contain a large amount of vitamin A. The American Nutrition Association (ANA) says that because of the vitamin A, elderberries may soothe the skin and prevent or lessen wrinkles.
- Protects against UV radiation. In one study, a skin product containing elderberry extract was found to have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 9.88.
- Gives skin a natural boost. Another study showed that the anthocyanins in elderberries (the compounds that give them their characteristic color) were found to give a natural boost to the skin’s health.
- Fights acne. The American Nutrition Association (ANA) suggests that using an elderberry facewash can help fight acne because of its antiseptic properties.
Best Skincare Products with Elderberry
Biossance Squalane + Elderberry Jelly Cleanser – This cleanser cleans the face and washes away makeup. It has a jelly-like consistency (hence the name), and is ideal for those experiencing bouts of dryness. You can skip the makeup wipes or remover with this all-in-one cleanser and makeup remover.
boscia Chia Seed Moisture Cream – Elderberry extract provides antioxidants that defends your skin against stress and pollution, so pat this on you face every morning before you head outside.
Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm – You’ll notice a trend here — elderberry is often found in cleansers and makeup removers due to the nurturing affect of the plant. The high levels of essential fatty acids in elderberry help keep skin in good health.
Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream – This cream is packed with ceramides to help lock in moisture and elderberry to helps defy the look of aging. What a duo!
Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti-Aging Body Cream – Elderberry isn’t just good for the skin on your face, but all over your body. This body cream helps tighten the skin (among other benefits).
Farmacy Honey Savior All-in-One Skin Repair Salve – This all-in-one salve can be used as lotion, cuticle cream, hair tamer, and more. It’s thick (in a good way) and nourishing.
Pacifica Clean Shot Hyaluronic & Flowers 5% Solution – This product is a great add-on for those with especially damaged and dry skin.
Best Makeup Products with Elderberry
Ulta Lash Evolution Mascara – This mascara has the added benefits of a lash conditioner. Elderberry fruit extract helps promote healthy looking lashes.
Elderberry sounds wonderful! I would love to try these skincare products!