If you’re like me, you remember taking oatmeal baths as a child to soothe your skin after a bad case of sunburn or Chicken Pox. I distinctly remember the smell and odd texture (maybe it’s why I don’t enjoy oatmeal today). But what about oat milk? Does the ingredient have the same benefits on skin and hair as its cousin of the milk variety? Let’s explore this question and look at some of the best oat milk products for your hair and skin.
Benefits of Oat Milk for Skin
- Oat milk is a great source of vitamins B2 and B12, which both work to promote healthy hair, nails, and skin. B vitamins also help fight oxidative damage to our cells from harmful free radicals, helping to minimize skin damage and encourage cellular repair.
- Oats in general relieve itching and soothe dry skin. In fact, oats are recognized by the FDA as “temporarily protecting and helping relieve minor skin irritation and itching due to: rashes, eczema, poison ivy, oak, or sumac, and insect bites.”
Benefits of Oat Milk for Hair
- Some research suggests that a deficiency in vitamin B12 can cause premature graying and hair loss (and oat milk is high in B12).
- Other research shows that one of the natural compounds found in oats offers excellent cleansing properties which, when used in hair care products, gently cleanses away excess oils and dirt on the scalp and hair.
- Oats are very gentle on the skin, making it ideal for those with sensitive, dry scalps.
Best Skincare Products with Oat Milk
BYBI Beauty Milk Melt Vegan Oat Cleanser – This new-to-me-brand of vegan oat cleanser is designed to deeply cleanse the face by dissolving dirt, residue, and make-up. Soothing oat milk calms and gently soothes the skin.
Sweet Chef Oat Milk Latte Cleanser – This affordable cleanser removes makeup and cleanses skin in a gentle way. Oat milk soothes and nourishes skin after even the most vigorous scrubbing (note: be gentle on your skin when you’re cleansing and exfoliating).
The Body Shop Mediterranean Almond Milk With Oat Instant Soothing Mask – This face mask is inspired by ancient Roman recipes, containing oatmeal from the UK and Community Trade organic almond milk from Spain. It works on dry, sensitive skin to restore moisture and prevent itchiness. Apply after you’ve removed your makeup and cleansed your face and leave on for 5-10 minutes for best results.
Ere Perez Oat Milk Foundation – If you’re looking for a medium-to-full coverage foundation, try this one from Australian-owned skincare brand Ere Perez. Oat milk works to deeply nourish and hydrate your skin for a subtle, lit-from-within glow.
Milk Makeup Vegan Milk Moisturizer – This vegan moisturizer calms and comforts dry skin with its ingredients, one of which is oat milk. The neon yellow packaging is an added bonus that will brighten up your bathroom cabinet or shelf.
Best Hair Products with Oat Milk
Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Aloe + Oat Milk Ultra Soothing Fragrance-free Hypoallergenic Shampoo – The bottle may look more like a cleanser, but I swear it’s a shampoo! This hypoallergenic shampoo is great for those with sensitive scalps. Oat milk, which is rich in omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin B, helps soothe the scalp and skin around the hairline.
Aveeno Scalp Soothing Oat Milk Blend Conditioner – This conditioner (which also is available as a shampoo, too) contains almond and oat milk to hydrate hair for beautiful strands. It’s paraben-free and safe for color-treated hair, too.
Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk – Like any good dry shampoo, this one eliminates oil, dirt and odors to leave hair clean, refreshed and full of volume. The added benefit of oat milk is to soothe and protect both the hair and scalp.