It’s Raining Men Halloween Costume DIY
Today I’m sharing an easy DIY last-minute Halloween costume that won me a “Best Costume” award a few years back at my company’s Halloween party. I love punny costumes (as well as food costumes, apparently), so this was right up my alley. I didn’t have time to plan out an elaborate costume this particular year, so I did this very last minute at my desk with a quick trip around the corner to a dollar store (one of the perks of working in NYC at the time). I probably spent $5 to $10 total, but you could make yours a little nicer if you’re willing to spend a bit more.
Here’s how to make your own “It’s Raining Men” Halloween costume with just a few supplies.
- a raincoat, rain jacket, or poncho
- an umbrella
- a handful of men’s magazines or printed photos of your favorite male celebrities (or men you know IRL, which may be even funnier)
- strong tape or a hot glue gun (only use the latter if you plan on throwing away the umbrella!)
- Print out photos of your favorite male celebrities (about 10-20). Try to get them to be similar sizes (this is easier if you’re printing them, as you can resize in Photoshop or Canva). If you don’t have access to a printer, you can cut out photos from magazines instead. The floating heads will turn around as you move, so if you’re really committed to the costume, you should tape two faces together so one is always showing. Lessons learned…
- Either tape or hot glue each photo to a piece of string. Alternate the lengths of the string so you have a “floating” effect.
- Tape or hot glue the other end of the string to the bottom of the umbrella.
- Throw on your rain poncho and a pair of rain boots.
OMG I love it. So clever!!!